Fire Damage... What I need to Do?
1. Do not wipe or attempt to wash fire residues from walls, ceilings or other absorbent surfaces.
2. Stay away from carpeting or upholstered furniture impacted by smoke residues or debris.
3. Do not use food items or canned goods exposed to heat.
4. Do not turn on computers, TVs, stereos or other electrical appliances until they have been cleaned and checked.
5. Do clean and protect chrome trim on faucets by washing with detergent and applying a coating of Vaseline or oil.
6. Do blow off or brush-vacuum loose smoke particles from upholstery, draperies and carpeting.
7. Do open windows for ventilation, if weather permits.
8. Do empty refrigerators and freezers if electricity is off. Also, prop doors open with a rolled towel or newspaper to allow air circulation.
9. Do pour antifreeze in toilet bowls, tanks, sinks and tub drains to prevent freeze damage if heat is off in the winter.
10. Do call a plumber to drain and blow out all water lines if heat is off in winter.
11. Do remove pets to a clean environment if heavy fire residues are present.
12. Do retain a contractor to board up open windows, roofs or other penetrations in order to prevent additional damage.